CONSTITUTION AND BY - LAWS
THE TEXAS MOSQUITO CONTROL ASSOCIATION
A. Name: This organization shall be known as The Texas Mosquito Control
B. Description: The Texas Mosquito Control Association, Inc. is a non-profit,
technical, scientific and educational association of mosquito workers,
entomologists, medical personnel, engineers, public health officials, military
officers, individuals and laymen who are charged with, or interested in mosquito
control and related work.
C. Objectives: The objectives of the Association shall be to:
1. Promote closer cooperation among those directly or indirectly
concerned with, or interested in mosquito control and related work.
2. Work for the highest standards of efficiency in such work.
3. Encourage further research on control techniques and mosquito bionomics.
4. Disseminate information about mosquitoes and their control.
5. Work for understanding, recognition and cooperation among public
officials and the public at large regarding the aims of the Association.
6. Encourage the enactment of legislation providing for a sound, well
balanced program of mosquito control work suited to local conditions where needed.
7. Meet and fairly disarm opposition to mosquito control work from any
source by promoting an understanding of control procedures and methods.
8. Promote the protection of wildlife in every possible way by avoiding
harm to the environment and encouraging the use of control measures calculated to
bring about the lowest practicable level of environmental impact when diverse
interests may be involved.
9. Work for the highest degree of cooperation among agencies and
organizations and the Association to the end that common interests may be most
10. Publish Annual Meeting Proceedings, Newsletters and other
publications in the furtherance of these objectives.
NAME, DESCRIPTION AND OBJECTIVES
A. Active Member: Any person who is interested in mosquito control and in the cause of
mosquito control in Texas desiring affiliation with this Association, shall be eligible for
membership and such membership shall entitle them to all privileges of the Association.
B. Sustaining Member: Sustaining Membership will be provided for Equipment and
Material Suppliers. A sustaining member will be allowed one vote in the affairs of the
C. Life Member: Life Membership shall be conferred upon persons retired from active
mosquito control operations. Such classification shall be conferred by the general
membership of the Association at an Annual Meeting.
D. Honorary Member: Honorary Membership may be conferred on any person, whether or
not a resident of Texas who had rendered such service to the cause of mosquito control as
to entitle him to special recognition. Such membership shall be conferred by the general
membership of the Association at an Annual Meeting. This membership shall include all
past presidents of the Association who have attained the age of 65 years.
E. Voting Privileges: Each member, except Honorary members, shall be entitled to cast
one vote personally or by written proxy during business meetings of the Association.
A. Officers: The officers of the Association shall be those of President, President-Elect,
First Vice-President, Second Vice-President, Secretary, and Treasurer.
B. President, President-Elect and Vice-President: The duties of the President, President-
Elect and Vice-President shall be those commonly understood as connected with these
1. The Secretary shall act as the Secretary of the Association, and of the Board of
2. He shall take and maintain minutes of all meetings.
3. He shall keep a list of all members of the Association with the anniversary dates of
their enrollment as members.
4. He shall oversee the publication of Newsletters, produce an annual report of his
activities and conduct such correspondence of the Association as is usually conducted by
the Secretary of similar organizations.
1. The Treasurer shall receive and have charge of all funds of the Association and funds
shall be disbursed by him as directed by the Board of Directors. In the event the Treasurer
is incapable of carrying out the duties of this office, the President is empowered to execute
checks on funds of the Association.
2. The Treasurer shall furnish a Financial Statement to Association members at each
annual meeting and to the Board of Directors at those times these may be requested.
3. On an annual basis the Treasurer shall produce all banking accounts, books, vouchers
and necessary documents for examination by the Audit Committee. The Audit Committee
shall report the results of their audit to Association members in writing in an appropriate
issue of the Association Newsletter.
4. If requested by the Board, the Treasurer shall furnish a surety bond in an amount that
may be prescribed.
E. President-Elect: It shall be the duty of the President-Elect, during the year or period,
following election to office, to become familiar through conference with the President and
other officers with details of business and affairs of the Association, to facilitate better
functioning of the office of President whenever the President-Elect assumes that office.
TERM OF OFFICE
All officers shall be elected for one year, or until their successors are elected and qualified.
No officer except the Treasurer or Secretary shall succeed himself. The President-Elect will
succeed automatically to the office of President. Officers elected at any Annual Meeting shall
begin their duties on the day of installation of the new officers at that Annual Meeting.
BOARD OF DIRECTORS
A. Membership: The Board of Directors shall consist of:
1. The Officers of the Association
2. The immediate Past-President
3. Two members at large elected as Directors
4. The Regional Director to the American Mosquito Control Association from the
Southwest Central Region, who shall serve as an ex-officio member of the Board.
B. Chairman: The President of the Association shall be Chairman of the Board of
A. General Business Meetings: A quorum of any meeting of the Association shall consist
of not less than 25% of the Active Members, at least two of whom shall be officers of the
B. Board Meetings: A quorum of the Board of Directors shall consist of any four members
of the Board.
MOTIONS AND RESOLUTIONS
A. Business Conducted at Annual Meetings:
1. The officers of the Association shall inform Association members of their activities
since the last Annual Meeting and indicate which matters need member approval by
presenting appropriate motions and resolutions for consideration.
2. Motions and resolutions may be presented from the floor at any Annual Meeting of the
Association by any member in good standing. Matters involving policy, however, shall be
referred to the Board of Directors for study and the Board shall report its
recommendations back to Association members for action at that or a subsequent Annual
B. Business Between Annual Meetings: The Board of Directors shall have full power of
the Association in all matters demanding actions between meetings of the Association, and
shall submit at the next succeeding meeting a report of all actions taken by them under
authority of this section.
This constitution may be amended by a two-thirds vote of the active members present at
any Annual Meeting when a quorum is present, provided that notice of the proposed amendment
has been given in writing to the Secretary and transmitted by him in writing to active members, 30
days before the Annual Meeting, and provided that notice of the time a vote on said amendment
has been announced at least twelve hours in advance of its occurrence.
The fiscal year of the Association shall begin January 1 each year and coincide with
calendar year annually.
A. Officers of the Association shall be elected at each Annual Meeting by ballot or viva-voce,
such Annual Meeting to be held at a time and place designated by a majority vote of the
Board of Directors.
B. No member shall be eligible for office who has not been a member of the Association for
C. Vacancies in the office of President between terms shall automatically be filled through
succession in the following order: President-Elect, First Vice-President, Second Vice-
D. Upon a vacancy in an office other than that of President, the President shall call a special
meeting of the Board of Directors within 30 days of the notice of such vacancy.
Whereupon, the Board shall appoint a successor to fill the vacancy in the respective office
until an election can be held at the next Annual Meeting. In case the President is unable or
unwilling to call a special meeting to fill such a vacancy, then the Secretary after
consulting with other officers shall call a meeting of the Board for this purpose.
A. None of the profits of the Association shall inure to the benefits of any of its members.
B. In the case of dissolution and after all indebtedness has been paid, the remaining assets will
be transferred to the American Mosquito Control Association, Incorporated.
BY - LAWS
MEETINGS, FEES AND DUES
A. Annual Meetings: An Annual Meeting shall be conducted by the Association, with the
time and place being decided by a majority vote of the Board of Directors. Plans for next
Annual Meeting informing members of the scheduled time and place shall be announced
during each annual meeting.
B. Special Meetings: Special meetings of Association members may be organized and
announced as determined by the Board of Directors.
C. Fees and Membership Dues:
1. The Board of Directors shall determine what membership dues and service fees may be
needed to support the activities of the Association.
2. Membership dues shall be payable annually before January 1 of the year membership is
3. Honorary and Life members shall not be required to pay membership dues.
A. Standing Committees:
1. The Membership Committee shall consist of five active members of the Association
including the Secretary. This Committee shall investigate and promote memberships in the
2. The Publicity Committee shall consist of five active members, including the
Secretary. The duties of the Committee shall be such as assigned by the President.
3. The Legislative Committee shall consist of five active members whose duties shall be
such as assigned by the President.
4. The Program Committee shall consist of the members of the Board of Directors and
their duties shall be to provide programs for each Annual Meeting.
5. The Awards Committee shall consist of three active members of the Association,
which includes the Secretary as ex-officio member. This Committee shall have full and
total authority to administer the James Gus Foyle Memorial Scholarship and the Bull
Schmidt Award, and to administer any other awards or scholarship that may be
established. In the solicitation, reviewing, selecting and awarding a scholarship or award
to applicants, no persons shall be discriminated against because of sex, religion, race, color
or national origin.
B. Special Committees:
1. The Nominating Committee shall consist of five active members who shall
recommend to the Association candidates for election as Officers and Directors.
2. The Auditing Committee shall consist of five active members whose duties shall be
to annually examine and audit the financial records of the Association and to report the
financial condition of the Association to Association members.
3. The Resolutions Committee shall consist of five active members. All resolutions
shall be presented to this Committee, who in turn will present them to Association
members for approval at an Annual Meeting.
4. The Board of Directors shall organize other committees as from time to time may be
RULES OF ORDER
Business sessions of the Association shall be conducted in accordance with Robert's Rules
All publications of the Association shall be issued under the direction of the Board of
Directors and shall become the property of the Association.
BY - LAWS AMENDMENTS
These by - laws may be amended by a two-thirds vote of the members present at any
Annual Meeting, provided that notice of the proposed amendment has been given in writing to the
Secretary and transmitted by him to the active members 30 days preceding the Annual Meeting.
Revised: December 14, 1965
October 26, 1978
October 10, 1980
October 15, 1981
January 6, 1987
October 7, 1993
Return to TMCA Home